Thursday, April 21, 2011
Thursday Thirteen - Tomato Facts

1. The smallest species of tomatoes are less than three-quarters of an inch in diameter. There are both red and yellow varieties.

2. The South Arkansas vine ripe pink tomato is Arkansas' official state vegetable.

3. Tomato juice is the official state beverage of Ohio.

4. There are at least 10,000 varieties of tomatoes.

5. China is the largest producer of tomatoes in the world, producing over 16% of all tomatoes.

6. The highest concentration of vitamin C in tomatoes is in the jelly-like substance around the seeds.

7. The first tomato plants were planted in Greece by a Friar Francis in 1818, in the gardens of a Capuchin monastery at the Choragic Monument of Lysicrates (built in 335 B.C.) in Athens.

8. Just like the brinjal and the pumpkin, botanically speaking it is a fruit, not a vegetable.

9. The tomato is the world's most popular fruit.

10. The French called it "the apple of love"

11. The Germans "the apple of paradise"

12. Tomatoes range from the small, marble-size cherry tomato to the giant Ponderosa that can weigh more than 3 pounds.

13. Tomatoes are rich in vitamins A and C and are a major source of lycopene - a compound that researchers think may help the body to combat cancer.


Happy tt!

posted by Nature Mad @ 3:27 PM  
15 Comments:
  • At June 27, 2007 at 3:16 PM, Blogger impwork said…

    A couple of years ago it looked like I might not be allowed to eat them anymore but fortunately that didn't happen. Can you imagine not cooking with toms? No pizza and no more of my lamb with peppers and tomatoes.

     
  • At June 27, 2007 at 3:32 PM, Blogger pussreboots said…

    Tomatoes are also delicious! Happy TT.

     
  • At June 27, 2007 at 3:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I like to eat tomatoes like apples, and I love to grow heirloom varieties. There's nothing quite like a home grown tomato -- the ones in the stores just don't taste the same.

     
  • At June 27, 2007 at 4:28 PM, Blogger Crimson Wife said…

    I love cooked tomatoes, but for some bizarre reason I hate them raw or juiced. Weird, huh?

    Happy TT!

     
  • At June 27, 2007 at 4:37 PM, Blogger Special K ~Toni said…

    Great list! I love tomatoes! We have several varieties in our garden this year!
    Air Force Wife

     
  • At June 27, 2007 at 4:39 PM, Blogger Susan Demeter said…

    Interesting I had no idea the tomato was the most popular. I thought it would be oranges for sure .. :) Happy TT!

     
  • At June 27, 2007 at 5:11 PM, Blogger Bernie said…

    I love the Big Black (Heritage Variety here in Australai) as it is quite sweet.
    Although, there is nothing better than having a nice tarty tomatoe on hot toast with salt n pepper!!
    My list is up if you want to come on over...
    Cheers
    Bernie

     
  • At June 27, 2007 at 5:28 PM, Blogger Susan Helene Gottfried said…

    I yanked a tomato plant out of the compost I'd put down in the front yard. (I get a lot of bonus tomato plants that way)

    I intended to replant it in a pot on my deck, but it got mixed in with weeds and tossed into the yard waste container.

    I was very sad. Especially now that I've learned all this. Tomatoes are cool. And yummy.

    Happy TT!

     
  • At June 27, 2007 at 11:52 PM, Blogger Annie said…

    Tomatoes. *shudder* I've never liked tomatoes on their own but I lurrrrrrve tomato stuff... if that makes any sense at all. Which it probably doesn't. :)
    I've posted my very first TT list today and am really enjoying reading all the others out there.

    Cheers from Blue Monkey Jammies

     
  • At June 28, 2007 at 4:17 AM, Blogger DigiscrapMom said…

    My Dad had a favorite anecdote about me and tomatoes that he never fails to tell his friends ALL THE TIME! When I was about 2 or 3 yrs old, my Mom brought me to the wet market with her to buy food. I got lost and she saw me devouring tomatoes at the tomato stand. Naturally, she had to pay for it.

    I love tomatoes! I eat them raw or cooked. Thanks for sharing facts about tomatoes in your list.

    Happy Thursday dear!

     
  • At June 28, 2007 at 9:01 AM, Blogger MommaBoo said…

    Tomatoes are my favorite veg..ur...fruit! I love 'em!

    Happy TT!

    Liked your list!

     
  • At June 28, 2007 at 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Interesting list, happy TT!

     
  • At June 28, 2007 at 10:59 AM, Blogger Maggie Moo said…

    Very interesting. I didn't know that China grew any tomatoes let along being one of the largest growers in the world!

    Happy TT...stop by and see mine.

     
  • At June 28, 2007 at 2:02 PM, Blogger Lori said…

    I dont like tomato juice..yuck..so I better not move to Ohio. Greawt info. Happy TT.

     
  • At June 28, 2007 at 5:13 PM, Blogger Tawnya Shields said…

    Now that was a great list of facts about tomatoes that I didn't know. And I grew up on a farm!

    I want one of those Ponderosa tomatoes! :o)~

     
Post a Comment
<< Home